Enhance understanding of the environmental, social and economic impacts
of trade liberalisation and the trade impacts of environmental policies
2. Raise awareness and clarify the relationship of policy and
decision-makers on the relationships between trade, environment and
3. Develop and assist countries in the use of assessment and
4. Enhance the capacities of countries in integrating environmental
considerations into macroeconomic policies, including trade policies.
6. Strengthen coherence between Multilateral Environmental
Agreements (MEAs) and the World Trade Organisation (WTO).
7. Enhance the role
of the financial services sector in sustainable development.
On major environment and trade issues and on practical ways to integrate
these policies for sustainable development.
To enhance countries’ capacities to develop mutually supportive environment
and trade policies.
Through raising awareness, consultation
and dialogue. ETB finds areas of shared perception and approach among
To build synergies with other organisations working in the environment-trade
1. Work with national governments.
2. Involve national institutions and experts.
3. Participatory and country driven.
4. Practical and cost-effective.
5. Work closely with:
The World Trade organisation (WTO).
- The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
- Other relevant intergovernmental organisations.
- Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs).
dialogue between stakeholders.